Gillian is so good at what she does! Her calm, peaceful and professional way of being permeates all that she does. She is attentive, observant and reflective and has a calm and peace about her that I really value. She is also gently authoritative which means that she is not afraid to ask searching questions or challenge. I firmly believe that all I have learned has helped me to be a better leader and manager.
I have over 30 years of experience in coaching and leadership development, both in managerial roles and as a consultant. I have coached several hundred CEOs, Directors and Senior Managers, and supervised the practice of many Executive Coaches, helping them to find and attain their true potential.
I relish the opportunities I have of working with senior professionals across all sectors. Seeing the results of our work together and the real impact that coaching has is why I love what I do.
From building leadership capability and handling team dynamics, to developing self belief and influencing skills, the scope of my work is broad, yet always specifically focused on your needs.
I founded gemm in 2002 and have developed the span of the business by engaging with a number of trusted associate colleagues for large projects and when a specific background or expertise meets the client’s needs best. Their profiles are below.
Qualifications and professional development
- SCOTACS Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Toolkit, SCQF Level 8, 2018
- Certificate in Group Facilitation, The Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2016
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision, The Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2015
- Accreditation as a Time to Think Facilitator, 2014
- Certificate in Gestalt Approaches to Learning in Organisations, The Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2012
- Coaching Constellations, The Metanoia Institute, 2011
- Certificate in the Supervision of Coaches, Mentors and Consultants, The Bath Consultancy, 2009
- Advanced Diploma in Professional Coach-Mentoring, The Oxford School of Coaching and Mentoring, 2003
- Diploma in Personnel Management, Kingston Polytechnic, 1988
- Diploma in Education, University of Edinburgh, 1984
- Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate, Moray House, 1984
- Honours degree in Psychology, University of Aberdeen, 1983
- EQi 2.00 – the Emotional Quotient Inventory for leadership insight and 360 feedback
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator Steps I and II
- The Emotional Judgement Inventory
- The Occupational Ability and Personality questionnaires
- British Psychological Society – testing competent Level A & B
- Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Master Member of the European Mentoring and Coaching Council
Kirsty Leishman Executive coach, supervisor and consultant
Sector Specialities: The NHS, education, oil super majors and contractors, international energy, financial and professional services, entrepreneurial start ups.
My 20+ years of working in the field of leadership development includes consulting, team and executive coaching: from ‘high potential’ leaders through to CEO’s and Non-Executive Directors. I maintain a spread of engagements between private and public and voluntary sectors. I am also a qualified coaching supervisor.
I support individuals and groups to develop and expand their leadership capacity, in the context of unprecedented change. My approach fosters confidence, and enables leaders to step into uncertainty with a readiness to lead both from the front and in collaboration with others. I challenge leaders to expand their repertoire with an inquiring approach, to dissolve siloes, understand difference, and drive for outcomes that are shaped and owned by all concerned.
It can be easy, in fast-paced environments, to regard conversations as passive and time-consuming. My experience tells a different story: coaching conversations become the action: a platform to explore past and present experiences, and to prepare for the future; and a safe space to develop a leader’s own change-agency.
- Certified Executive Coach, School of Coaching, Strathclyde University
- Certified Coaching Supervisor, Bath Consultancy Group/GP Strategies
- Senior assessor, Global Leadership Profile
- Certified trainer, Political Savvy™ strategic influencing programme
- Systemic Team Coaching, Bath Consultancy Group/GP Strategies
- EQi 2.0/EQi 360 – Emotional Intelligence licenced practitioner
- Certified practitioner, Leadership Development Profile, Harthill
- Ongoing and regular coaching supervision from a UKCP registered Supervisor
Susan Marr Executive coach and coach supervisor
Sector specialities: Financial Services, social enterprise and charities, legal and accounting, aviation, and higher education.
I have been involved in coaching for over 30 years. I operated at Executive level within financial services where for over 20 years, I had a range of roles including Corporate Finance, Business Development, Learning and Development and Strategic Marketing.
I have worked with Senior Executives in the UK, Asia and across Europe. I have led teams through major change programmes, supported organisations by driving their corporate social responsibility agenda, and worked with both teams and individuals to develop business skills that matter. I am also a former Board member and Trustee of a mental health charity.
I am an accredited psychotherapist and coach supervisor and work with individuals and groups. I also have training in trauma and have supported organisations with Crisis Coaching at times of sudden bereavement of colleagues.
I have developed my own approach, drawing on my years of experience as well as formal training. I have designed and delivered workshops on innovation, change, team work, and improving professional relationships. In particular, I pay close attention to the style and needs of the group members I coach, and look to integrate support with challenge to aid each individual’s professional development.
Being fluent in French, I offer French speaking clients the opportunity to work in their mother tongue.
- Certificate in Supervision, Edinburgh Gestalt Institute
- Certificate in Group Facilitation, Edinburgh Gestalt Institute
- Certificate in Performance and Business Coaching, University of Strathclyde
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Trauma specific qualifications:
- Certificate in EMDR
- Certificate in Brainspotting
- Certificate in Compassion Fatigue, Traumatology Institute, Toronto
- CPD certificate in Working with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Accredited Member of BACP
- MA (Hons), French, University of Edinburgh
Caroline McIntosh Career coach and counsellor
Sector specialities: Finance and banking, oil and gas, healthcare, the public sector, service industries, and manufacturing
I have worked as a career development and management coach and trainer for over 20 years. I support individuals at every stage of their career – helping to define their needs and transferable skills and strengths, evaluating options, assisting with self-promotion in CVs and on LinkedIn, and offering training, advice and practice for interviews. I also help managers to understand and overcome the challenges they face in the workplace, especially during the first months in a new role.
I bring commercial perspective to my work, having previously been employed in sales, recruitment, HR and general management in the leisure, education, oil & gas and manufacturing sectors. My coaching work has given me an insight into the challenges of numerous sectors, functions and cultures.
A trained counsellor as well as a coach, I am known to relate at all levels using an integrative approach and a range of tools in my coaching. My challenging approach helps clients deepen their self-awareness and identify obstacles, whilst my guidance and encouragement increases their knowledge and self-esteem. I enable clients to both improve their career prospects and maximise their effectiveness and visibility in the workplace.
- Penna InCoach (ICF Accredited course)
- GHN Coach training
- British Psychological Society Int. Level B Psychometrics
- Diploma in Counselling, Central School of Counselling and Psychotherapy, London
- Certificates in Stress Management & Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Centre for Stress Management, London
- MA, St Andrews University
Ros Wilson Consultant, facilitator and executive coach
Sector Specialities: Finance, manufacturing, international organisations in the third and corporate sectors, education, governmental departments
I have over 25 years’ experience in coaching. My clients range from senior Board level executives through to line managers, senior specialists moving into leadership roles, and high potential individuals at earlier stages of their career.
Spending a number of years working abroad, including 5 years in Singapore, I have worked with large complex organisations on large-scale leadership development projects and on organisation effectiveness initiatives.
My approach to coaching is very person-centred, enabling clients to develop their self-awareness, explore new ideas, build resilience, and their own confidence and capabilities.
- Licensed trainer of Positive Power & Influence.
- BSc (Soc Sci) Psychology, University of Edinburgh
- BA Hons. English.
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator Steps I and II
- Human Synergistics: Organisation Culture and Lifestyles Inventories
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
Rathy Thiruchelvam Executive coach, trainer and facilitator
Sector Specialities: Financial services, professional services and creative industries
I have worked in Human Resources for nearly 20 years within Financial Services (General Electric and Royal Bank of Scotland), and throughout my HR career have coached managers at all levels with challenging people issues. The success of the outcomes were grounded in a common sense, straight forward and compassionate approach to sensitive situations.
My coaching approach is rooted in an innate understanding of what is playing out for my clients. I work openly, honestly and authentically and ask the same of my clients. I will pay attention to everything, what is said, how it is said, those subtle signs which are a gateway to rich insights. I work this way because I want to serve my clients powerfully and wholeheartedly. What comes from this are observations, questions and patterns which all help a client’s individual goal, whatever that might be. My intention throughout the coaching relationship is to make sure clients see their potential now and the potential they’re yet to fulfil.
I help my clients to transition successfully into senior roles, find direction professionally, understand their leadership style, to develop self-awareness and confidence, to find and connect to their personal purpose, increase their well-being and to be at their best in difficult times.
I have developed and facilitated many development programmes such as coaching skills for managers, mental health resilience, how to have difficult conversations, understanding your personal conflict style and understanding your leadership values.
The core of my work as a coach, trainer and facilitator is based in a daily practice of personal mastery. Showing up every day with the intention of being at your best so you can do your best.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (1999)
- Trained Co-Active Coach with the Coaches Training Institute (2005)
- Trained ACAS mediator (2010)
- Psychology of managing underperformance, CIPD (2011)
- Determined to Lead, Bank wide coaching programme for managers, RBS (2015-2017)
- How to manage the unmanageable, ACAS (2018)
Robert Gordon, CB Executive coach and mentor
Sector Specialities: Government and the wider public sector, charities and not for profits
I have extensive experience of transformational leadership and radical change roles in the public service in Scotland over a varied career in government, culminating in over 10 years at Board level.
I have a passion for helping clients expand their leadership repertoires, developing new skills to deliver performance enhancing change. My focus is on helping grow courageous, committed, energising and imaginative leaders with the appetite and skills to bring about substantive and enduring change in their organisations.
I am supportive, engaging and encouraging and couple this with constructive challenge. Clients are encouraged to be energising, to inspire their teams to aim higher and to achieve things they thought themselves incapable of; to lift morale in parts of organisations that feel neglected; to re-engage the disaffected and semidetached.
The imaginative leader is helped to find new and unexpected ways of engendering enthusiasm and commitment – the new role, the new project – to overcome the seemingly immovable obstacle. I encourage them to see how they can deploy emotional intelligence to understand behaviours and demeanours and make the unexpected interventions that make the difference.
- Graduated in Italian Studies University of Aberdeen
I graduated in Italian Studies from the University of Aberdeen and joined the civil service fast stream. I served in a wide range of diverse roles in the Scottish Office, was Principal Private Secretary to two Secretaries of State for Scotland.
I oversaw the establishment of the Scottish Parliament and Executive and was Head of the Central units supporting the new Scottish Executive before moving to be the first Chief Executive of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service.
I then became Head of the Justice Department (later Director General Justice and Communities) in the Scottish Executive/Government and led a programme of fundamental change, reform and performance improvement across the Justice system.
Since leaving the Scottish Government, in addition to my coaching and mentoring work, I have served on the Boards of a number of charities and have conducted independent reviews for public bodies in different parts of the UK.
Suzanne Braid Executive coach, trainer and facilitator
Sector specialities: Construction, manufacturing, insurance and finance, healthcare, IT/software, public sector and charities
I have worked as a Learning and Development specialist for 15 years, also working as an Accredited Coach in a range of sectors from finance, construction, IT to the public sector.
I work with individuals, leaders and teams at all levels and have extensive experience in using coaching to improve performance, enhance leadership capability, explore team dynamics and develop future talent.
My coaching approach closely reflects my natural passion and desire to continually learn. I thrive from developing potential in others, to share and inspire them to grow and continually improve. I love to make authentic connections and bring a curiosity and energy that allows me to support them in understanding their development needs, enabling them with the best way forward to achieve them.
As a trainer and facilitator I design, develop and deliver a range of development programmes such as ILM accredited Leadership & Management development, coaching & mentoring skills and behavioural skills, as well as working with leaders and teams to deliver a range of tailored organisational development initiatives such as cultural change, strategic focus, team building and talent development.
- CIPD Level 4 Learning & Development (SVQ), 2003
- Open University – Certificate in Social Sciences, 2009 – 2010
- Accredited Coach via Strathclyde University, 2008
- Accredited Coach with Association of Coaching UK
- Level A & B Psychometric Testing & Feedback (Ability test & Psychometrics)
- MBTI Step I & II
- Insights practitioner & coach
- YSC & SHL Assessor qualified
- Leadership Practices Facilitator & Coach (LPI 360 & Leadership Challenge)
- Gallup Certified Strengths Coach & Facilitator
- CIPD Associate member
- British Psychological Society – registered testing competent (Level A & B)
- Member of the Institute of Directors (IOD)
Willson Hau Executive coach and organisational development consultant
Sector Specialities: Global finance, manufacturing, media, digital, and fast growth businesses
I have worked with large organisations for much of my career, on organisational development, culture and leadership to transform effectiveness and outcomes. At Reuters I was Global HR Programmes Manager and with BT as Head of Organisational Development I worked with leadership teams to create a cultural change.
As a leadership coach, I now focus on both established and fast growth companies to help them put people at the heart of how digitally transforming businesses work.
- Trinity College, Cambridge, in Modern Languages, and Philosophy,
- MBA specialising in HR with Distinction, from Cass Business School.
- Trained in Systemic Coaching (Mackewn Nowhere),
- Coaching for Organisational Consultants (Ashridge),
- Certified in MBTI Step I and Step II, and 16PF psychometrics
- Authorised in the use of the Leadership Development Framework LDF action logics.